Nor does MP3's inferior quality compared to ATRAC. And let's face it, in
terms of real-time recording when out on the field, live recordings or
whatnot, DAT and MD are still the premier choice over an MP3 player. This is
simply because you'll never find a real-time MP3 portable recorder. Only
players exist, and will continue to exist without any regard for real-time
recordings.

Sorry, but I don't agree at all. All technologies begin to "plateau" out at
some point in their lifetime and just because there aren't as many new MD
units being created has nothing to do with the demise of the format. The
reason for the diminishing units on display could simply be because they now
sell themselves and require no enticement of any kind.

Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of using solid state media as opposed to the
magneto-optical media being used now. While both formats are capable of
failing, I find that solid state is more susceptible to this, particularly
in a portable application where it must withstand the rigours imposed upon
it by the user. Furthermore, the MO media is still cheaper than its solid
state counterpart. Unless MP3 is made available on media similar to MD, I
don't think it really stands a serious chance in terms of reliability and
long-term cost.

Adios,
LarZ

---------------  TAMA - The Strongest Name in Drums  ---------------