Peter Wood wrote:

> , I was woundering if anyone could
> recommend a microphone for recording speech, remembering how far away
> you can be from the speaker.

Get a stereo mike and you can record in either stereo or mono with it.
Stereo will be better because you will be able to hear the speaker walk
back and forth and tell their position from the stereo image.  Also, when
someone coughs, rustles paper,  talks, whatever, your brain has an easier
task of sorting that out from the lecture if it is in stereo.
If you are at all handy, the mike I designed works well, and is
inexpensive.  Less than $10US in parts.  I think someone said Maplins
carries the parts in the UK, but I am not familiar with them.

If you can hear it, this will pick it up,
http://www.tir.com/~liteways/Mandolin.html#Microphone

> --

Jim Coon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]