From: Peter Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MiniDisc List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 9:26 PM
Subject: MD: Recording lectures????? Neec cheap mono microphone...

>Hya All,
>
>You may remember me from such posts as..... Anyway... ;) I'm going to
>Staffordshire university (in England) next year (which means I'm gonna
>have to give up IRC :~(....),

You *are* kidding, right? University - FREE INTERNET ACCESS!!!

> I was woundering if anyone could
>recommend a microphone for recording speech, remembering how far away
>you can be from the speaker.

Make 'em yourself! :o)

>Qulity isn't really that important, as I plan to MD them (in Mono) and
>then MP3 them. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, so under £20
>(yeah cheap scate I know, but I'm gonna be a student). Sensitive mono
>microphone plugged into Sharp 722.

I've just built a set of stereo mics from part in a Maplin catalogue, and so
far my budget has hit £8.32. The mics and cable cost about £4, but I decided
to add a battery box so if I wanted to record live I could plug into the
Line In socket on my MD. This brought the cost up to £6.33, then of course I
needed a plastic case to put the battery and electronics in (the most
expensive part at £1.99!)

>If anyone is woundering I'm going off to do a MEng in Computer
>Science. So If anyone is there, please email me.... I'd love to find
>out about the place, I'm coming to visit on 2nd of Feb.

Just a word of advice - don't rely on the MD and fall asleep in the
lectures - snoring that close to the mics will result in a useles recording
;o)

All the best

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]