From: PrinceGaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: MD: Sony's new Internet Audio Recording Interface

> Who cares, Nick only ever issues a very mild warning after eg, prattling
on about
> gun-control for days so this topic has to be okay.
> BTW I hope M Schumacher does well in the first F1 race of the season in
Sydney
> this weekend.

I think there is only going to be one way to get this solved and that is for
somebody to write an ATRAC encoder on the PC based upon the ASIC system.
Unfortunately I lack the expertise to write something that complex - is
anyone else on this list up to the challenge?

I think it can be done, there's no real reason why it wouldn't work, the
only issue is whether it would work fast enough for real-time orr faster
performance. I've seen many processes categorically stated that a PC could
not do in real-time including MPEG decoding, controlling MIDI instruments,
networking (yes, at one point this was 'impossible'), making a CD, printing
a document, voice dictation, the list is virtually endless. After a lot of
research and development all of these are now virtually second nature to
every PC user! I see no reason why ATRAC Encoding could not be the same.
There will be sceptics at first and it would probably take a few attempts to
get it right, but I'm sure it can be done. I only wish I had the knowledge
to write it myself (but then Sony would probably be after me for copying
their system without permission).

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]