From: Ralph Smeets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: MD: Sony's new Internet Audio Recording Interface

> And all that is tied together with a 33Mhz PCI bus.... (Which has an
> average performance of 33MB/s (PCI is ONLY fast when in burst mode. I/O
with
> soundcards etc. is single-byte based!, unless the CPU invokes DMA
transfer, but
> even then -in most cases-, the PCI bus is occupied and the CPU can't do
> anything!)

Can't argue with that,  however, I would point out that you can do MPEG
video encoding on a P3-400MHz system at 320x240 resolution in true colours,
and that's *with* a 16 bit stereo audio stream and no hardware encoder (my
450MHz manages 16fps unassisted). I still find it hard to believe that a
machine that can manage that wouldn't be able to do ATRAC encoding fast
enough.

> Cheers,
> Ralph -> Wondering at what speed the ATRAC-R-type DSP is running....

At a guess I'd say 35 MHz with 70MHz on-chip....

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]