[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hmmm....

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I don't wanna interfere into the discussion whether or not ATRAC encoding is
> possible on todays PCs (please no flames!!), but.... I have an ATRAC
> encoder/decoder running on my PentiumII-450Mhz (with good old Win95b). I named my
> encoder/decoder ATRAC Type-WB (guess why!) Version 3.5-0.91 (this means the
> psycho-acoustic model has been read out from a MD-Deck with ATRAC-Version 3.5 --
> MDS-JA3ES).

What do you mean read-out?

> The encoder eats about 75-80% of the CPU time and the decoder needs 20-25%. Both
> encoder and decoder are written in a high-lever language and have yet not been
> opimized (no MMX and so on). The encoder even writes the bitstream in the exact
> way a MD recorder would do, which means, if you write the encoded file onto a
> MiniDisc, set the pointers in the UTOC correcly and put the disc into a MD player
> it will play. About 15% of the CPU time is used for the QMF and the type
> conversion (float2integer) -- unbelievable; 10% is needed for the bit
> packing/unpacking and the fast cosine transforms. A lot of improvement could be
> done here since I use the FCT algorithm for the DCT type I, but ATRAC uses DCT
> type IV. Anyway. My encoder version (0.91) has still some problems with the
> BlockSize decision.

Sounds interesting!

> Since sony has registered the name "ATRAC", I am already thinking about a new
> name for my encoder/decoder. How about "CARTA" (pronounced "ATRAC" -- if you read
> it from right to left! :) Any suggestion are welcome! BTW: Everybody with some
> math knowlege can build their own en/decoder. All the information you need is
> availble on the net (no kidding!)

CARTA sounds good!

> wolfgang

Are you 'The Wolfgang'? I mean, the one of the Minidisc Secrets? The one that
gave us (Hmm, some of us) the extra lenght minidiscs?

Cheers,
Ralph
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE