From: Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MD-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: MD: Sony's new Internet Audio Recording Interface

> Emuating an ASIC in software?  No, that is a bad idea.  Remember when I
> said that emulation is slow?

I didn't say emulate the ASIC, I said devise a system based up it. The
Windows caluclator is based upon an actual calculator, but it isn't an
emulation. I have been arguing for a while that the best way to reproduce a
system is not necessarily be emulation.

> Five or six years ago, the average desktop PC could not manage MPEG
> decoding at reasonable frame rates (16-24fps) at reasonable resolution
(420
> scan lines) in real time, and they were not fast enough to burn CD-Rs.  As
> for the rest, I do not know where you get your information, but the Corvus
> Constellation worked just fine for 1MHz Apple ][s, MIDI has always had
> computer control capability, etc.  Right about now, were I you I would
> seriosuly question my sources.

If you go back far enough you'll find the idea of a computer in a chip was
laughed at. The idea of a computer was itself rediculous until Charles
Babbage came along.

My point is that things move on, systems get better and can do more things,
and so it is not impossible for a computer to do this task. It's no more
challenging than any other "impossible" task a computer has ben asked to
perform. I am 100% sure it can be done and I'm quite sure that the systems
we currently have would be fast enough. If they aren't now then by the time
such a system hit the market with the appropriate modifications made to an
MD they very probably would be!

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]