[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ralph Smeets wrote:
>

>     > I thinks the PC has a performance problem due to the
>     > 'enormous' overhead of the
>     > OS and the fact that most encoders are programmed in C.
>
> Most of the overhead of an OS is associated with input/output through
> multiple layers of device drivers/protocol stacks. If you have a
> computationally intensive algorithm, i/o is relatively unimportant and I
> would estimate the OS overhead as less than 1%. I've been using this NT
> machine for 3.5 hours now, and the task manager shows the system idle task
> has run for 3h33m CPU time. The total for ALL the other processes is about 3
> minutes.

Hmm,

what are you doing on that machine?

I've never encoded something into an MP3 in all my live, so maybe I'm just
stupid, but due to several 'architectural' problems with Windows, things run
slower than on a Linux box. The Linux kernel fits on a floppy. The Windows 9x
and Windows NT kernel need several floppy's. The memory footprint of these
Windows systems is far larger than Linux, thus the need to use the SWAP space
to. Add to that that most 'deamons' (little programs that are loaded into memory
during the start-up of Windows) need more memory than the Linux equivalent.

OS overhead is a real problem in this case.

> Code written in C can easily be tens of times slower than hand written
> assembler, but is far more portable, and much easier to write.
>
>     > if the ATRAC DSP has an OS, it will probably be very very very small!
>
> For a dedicated processor, there is usually no need for an OS.

True!

Cheers,
Ralph -> are we still on-topic?

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE