[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> G'day
>
> The other day, someone mentioned using mains cable as speaker cable, because
> its so damn cheap. Is anyone using this setup?
>
> I've heard things about the quality of interconnects between amp and
> CD/MD/other stuff making a difference to sound quality, and simliar things
> about speaker wire, and 99.99999% oxygen free copper wire or some crap.
> There must be some truth in it, if people are willing to pay hundreds and
> hundreds of $ for a few metres of speaker wire.. Anyway, does anyone know if
> there'd be an appreciable difference between reasonably cheap but "thick"
> speaker wire from an audio shop and mains cable from a hardware shop?
>
> thanks,
> nick

Me and about any other sensible person that I know.

Speaker-cable is based upon the fairytale that is called: 'People believe'.
And one other `Quality costs money`.

Ie, most people don't know anything about cable materials. So there are
some manufacturers that play with that. Take standard mains cable and market
it as special speaker wire.

One thing is for sure here, a 2.5 mm2 mains cable will give 'better' sound
than a 1.0 mm2 speaker cable (which cost probably the same as the 2.5mm2 mains).

Cheers,
Ralph -> needing some oxygen.
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE