[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is still popular - I got pretty much sick and tired of
> the whole thing, along with green dye for the edges of CD's....
> I know some hi-fi nuts that have gold plated mains plugs on their valve
> amps etc....

Hmm,

There is something true in those plugs. Using gold-plated plugs with gold
plated outs/in, is probably best. (Best contact. Best would be copper, (copper
is a better conductor than gold.), but copper can't stand oxygen!).
Using nickel-plated plugs with nickel outs/in is les, but still good.
(Nickel is a worst conductor than gold)

Using any combination of nickel plated with gold in/outs or visa versa will
introduce troubles. Especially with your PC where gold plated DIMMs give
problems with cheap nickel plated DIMM slots on the main-board.

How this relates to audio/md, I don't know. All I know is that you get some
strange physical effects using two metals pressed together (like gold with
nickel).
Is it hearable? I don't know, my MD-deck cost(ed) as much as my stereo, so it's
not that high quality.

Cheers,
Ralph -> who's working to hard...... <grin>

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE