The largest improvement, especially at low frequencies, come from low
resistance.  Since the speaker itself is only a few ohms, series resistance
added by small gauge cable and normal connectors will quickly destroy the
high damping factor of modern solid-state amplifiers.  The PA rig I built
several years ago used 12 AWG rubber covered mains cable with 277V
twist-lock power connectors.  (I chose 277V since that power voltage is used
only for industrial lighting and is never present elsewhere so the speakers
would not get plugged into the power mains by mistake, although the woofers
would have withstood this, very loudly! :-)