* "Jiawei Ye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 01 May 2000
| If  "compression" is defined as you did (you defined CD-DA as
| "compression"), no digital mobile phone system will exist in the US,
| 'cause "the FCC does not allow compression or encryption"

There is no One True Definition of compression.  The definition of
compression used in the communications industry has a narrow scope.  To the
comms guys and the FCC, compression is an algorithmic transformation of
clear data into coded data, and data loss is usually not allowed.  To them,
"lossy compression" is an oxymoron.  This is the correct definition to use
when discussing communications systems, which is what I was doing.

By that definition, ATRAC is not compression.  But by our consensus, ATRAC
is compression.  We have decided that the comms definition is too narrow
for our needs, so we use a different definition, one with a broader scope.
Instead of an algorithmic transformation, compression is the process of
reducing data so as to require less space to store or less carrier capacity
to transmit.  By this definition, the sampling rate cutoff used by PCS and
GSM is considered to be a compression scheme.

So, back to the original point.  Is the sampling rate cutoff used by CD-DA
sampling a form of lossy compression?  By the very strict definition of the
comms industry, no.  By the very broad definition of the MD community, yes.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.