[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "J. Coon" wrote:
> >
> >  The average off the street taper, just wants to push a button and
> > record and not mess with the levels.  That is one thing that makes the
> > Sonys atractive, except they messed up the concept with that darned End
> > Search button that will really give them a headache.  WIth the Sony,
> > when they get to the point that they want to play with the recording
> > levels, they can still do it.
>
> Ok, my curiosity is up.  I've seen a couple of criticisms now of the
> "end search" button.  What's the beef?  I find it quite handy when
> I'm conducting multiple recording sessions on the same disk.  Am I
> missing something?

Yes,

But first let's define end-search:
end-search is a mechanism that puts the recording position at the end of
previously recorded material.

ALL MD recorders have end-search.

And then lets see how it is implemented on differnt brands of recorders:
Sony:
  - portables: user has to push an end-search button in order to activate
    the end-search mechanism.
  - home-decks: a Sony home-deck will do an 'automatic' end-search. Ie,
    whenever you press 'record' while the deck is stopped the recording
    will start after the previously recorded material.
    If you want to overwrite material, you will need to set the recording
    position by going to the place where you want to start to overwrite.
All others:
  - see Sony home-decks.

You're preference may vary. PERSONALY I can't find any sane explination
for the end-search button since:
1) with our without your end-search button, in order to overwrite the
   material from a certain possition, you need to position the recording
   position. Thus, end-search is an EXTRA step.
2) forgetting to push end-search will result in overwritting material.

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE