I'm on the verge of buying a MD recorder, and I have a couple of last
questions to bounce off the assemblage.

First, I'm in the same position as Sean, who posted re:  machine sturdiness
recently.  I'm leaning toward the Aiwa line, and a post yesterday suggested
that the 65/70 machines might be better built than the 75/80s.  Has anyone had
a chance to do more than casually compare these?  Would I gain more in
recorder longevity than I would lose in improved design, batter life, etc., if
I bought an older model?

Second, a couple of on-line reviews have suggested that some machines are less
sensitive to sound levels than others during recording--meaning that to get
the volume set where you want it, you need to set some recorders nearer to
their input limit than others.  Again, has anyone had a chance to compare this
detail between makes and/or models?  It seems to me that it could affect the
sound quality of the recordings--any thoughts?

And last, a seemingly small detail that I can see being more important over
time:  The loudness of the recorders themselves.  One post noted that the
newest Sony machine, while terrific in most respects, is often very loud.
Again, is this true across the Sony line, or just this model?  How do the
Aiwas compare, in particular?  And on the subject of sounds from the machine,
can the beeps made when buttons are pressed be turned off on any recorders?

One last question, not directly related to any of the above.  A recent post
complained about the amount of noise added to music when recorded off of a
computer.  There are $50 cables out now that claim to be better for making
these kinds of recordings, especially copying MP3s from computer to MD. Has
anyone used one of these cables?  Are they worth the investment?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Dave.

David Witzany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             ....one of Nature's bounds checkers