I think _all_ portables beep; the question is how many let you disable the
beep, and if you turn the beep off, does it stay off between discs and when
you change batteries?

The manual for the Sharp MD-MS702 says that you can turn its beep off; this is
presumably true of all newer Sharp models, as well.  (The manual doesn't go
into a lot of detail, but someone who owns an MD-MS722 says that the beep
stays off between discs; he's not sure about what happens when you change
batteries.)

Dave.

David Witzany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             ....one of Nature's bounds checkers