These cables aren't completely digital, since they need to plug into a PC
sound card.  They have an optical connector on one end, and a 1/8" miniplug on
the other.  The manufacturers and resellers imply that using your MD
recorder's optical input means better sound quality, but you've already
converted the signal to analog, by using a PC sound card in the first place.
This idea would only make sense if the output from the computer was still
digital; I've seen no evidence to suggest that this is the case.  If the PC
output is analog, then, you've already introduced plenty of opportunity for
signal degradation, no matter which input you use on the recording end.

Dave.

David Witzany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             ....one of Nature's bounds checkers