I got my optical cable from Best Buy for about $10.  It is a Recotron.
They had Sony cables for about $40, if I recall correctly.  You can get
an analog cable a lot cheaper than that at several places.

I was just there yesterday, but I didn't look at cables.  They did have
Sony 5 pack color assortment for $9.99 US.   They, and CIrcuit City had
several protables.  I saw the Aiwa AM F70, Sharp md mt 15,  SOny r37,
R70, and I think R90.  Also, a Casio one as well as some players.  The
choices in decks was pretty poor though, Sony 330,  and the CD/MD
combination.  There were some boom box types too.  So, I don't think BB
and CC have given up on minidisc, they just moved the display.  It seems
to me they tend to do that at least once a year.  I can remember three
different positions in the stores in as many years.

Mike Burger wrote:

> Actually, depending on where he bought it, it wouldn't surprise me to
> hear that the cable cost $50.  Radio Shack, as well as most of the "high
> end" audio shops, charge way too much...this one shop I went to, looking
> for cables, digital sound cards, etc. had an optical TOSLINK cable for
> $51.99...it had the normal square connectors on the ends, and the fiber
> cable, itself, was nearly 1/2" thick and was probably 2 or 3M long.  Why?  I
> couldn't tell you...but there it was. <G>

Why would anyone want a 1/2 inch thick optical cable, when a normal one
works just  fine?

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways