Actually, depending on where he bought it, it wouldn't surprise me to
hear that the cable cost $50.  Radio Shack, as well as most of the "high
end" audio shops, charge way too much...this one shop I went to, looking
for cables, digital sound cards, etc. had an optical TOSLINK cable for
$51.99...it had the normal square connectors on the ends, and the fiber
cable, itself, was nearly 1/2" thick and was probably 2 or 3M long.  Why?  I
couldn't tell you...but there it was. <G>