----- Original Message -----
From: "las" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: MD: Future of minidiscs

> Sir you incorrectly state that an MP3 file will produce CD quality music.
The
> quality of MP3 files can vary greatly.  But one thing that I am fairly
certain
> about is that the quality of a true digital copy of an original
(prerecorded CD)
> to an ATRAC encoded Mini Disc is superior to that of MP3 .

YOU ARE WRONG.

Everything that I record on my Sharp831, using a digital optical connection
to my Marantz CD6000OSE from a good quality CD source sounds NOTICEABLY fake
with clearly audible compression artifacts.
Yes, the quality of MP3 -encoded audio can vary greatly ... but good quality
MP3 audio DOES sound better than everything I personally record on my
Sharp831.

The quality of ATRAC compression can vary greatly. Both MP3 encoders and
ATRAC encoders have improved since their inception such that almost any
modern MP3-encoded file will sound better than a MiniDisc recorded using a
version of Atrac that is a couple of generations old.

The quality of Prerecorded MiniDiscs however is almost certainly going to be
better than the quality of any handmade MP3 files.

> Music on the other hand must be stored on something very portable and
inexpensive
> so that you can build up a library.  You don't need computer to listen to
music.
> Just a player.  You want to be able to carry with you as many songs as you
feel
> like and play them at will.  Even with the larger CD, you can still carry
dozens
> of them with hundreds of songs in a relatively small space and weight.

If there existed mass-production MP3 encoding portables then it would make
sense for them to use Flash Ram
... the device could be used to create wholly digital solid-state no-skip
recordings of live events or dictation ... which could then be transferred
(using a PC) onto more suitable media for building up a collection.
I have no idea if MP3-encoding portables exist, but I would rather use
MiniDisc anyway because it is portable AND inexpensive. In the same way
that, if I wanted to build up a collection of photographs (just as I build
up a collection of music) I would probably want a digital camera that takes
portable and inexpensive rewritable media (and I don't mean floppy disks or
any proprietary non-mainstream junk).

dave