las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >YOU ARE WRONG.
>
>Dan the above statement was addressed to me (Larry).

I know ;-)

>Don't you just hate it when someone is wrong and keep insisting that
>"YOU ARE WRONG". For one thing it makes that person just look that
>much more foolish.

I just think that in a civil discussion, there are better ways to tell
someone they are wrong ;-)

>> >The quality of ATRAC compression can vary greatly.
>
>I don't know that that is a fact!  Comparing equal versions (same chipset
>should product consistent results.)

Dave actually wrote that (just in case anyone was confused by all the
quoting levels). He's only correct insofar as different *versions* of
ATRAC are used. But ATRAC 3 is identical to ATRAC 3, regardless of the
hardware doing the encoding.

>To really do it right not only the listener but even the person
>selecting the music must not know which is which.

If the person doing the selecting is not giving any clues or cues, it's
not a problem, especially in this sort of test.

>The other thing that makes these A/B tests very difficult is that you
>need a way to perfectly balance the volume. Speaking of
>Psychoacoustics, generally speaking, the louder volume the better the
>perceived sound quality.

True. In fact, in short-term listening, excessive treble (and bass)
generally result in better perceived sound quality among untrained
listeners. That's why most of the mass-market speakers you listen to in
Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. have such "good" high frequency response --
the problem is that you get them home and you get fatigued listening to
them for long periods of time...