"Dave Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>...the quality of a true digital copy of an original (prerecorded CD)
>>to an ATRAC encoded Mini Disc is superior to that of MP3 .
>
>YOU ARE WRONG.
>
>Everything that I record on my Sharp831, using a digital optical
>connection to my Marantz CD6000OSE from a good quality CD source
>sounds NOTICEABLY fake with clearly audible compression artifacts.
>Yes, the quality of MP3 -encoded audio can vary greatly ... but good
>quality MP3 audio DOES sound better than everything I personally
>record on my Sharp831.

No offense Dave (seriously), but you either aren't using your 831
correctly, or you're not doing any sort of scientific comparison (i.e.
you're listening on different equipment and/or there are other factors
affecting the sound). The highest quality MP3 still doesn't sound as good
as a digital copy of an MD.

>The quality of ATRAC compression can vary greatly. Both MP3 encoders
>and ATRAC encoders have improved since their inception such that
>almost any modern MP3-encoded file will sound better than a MiniDisc
>recorded using a version of Atrac that is a couple of generations
>old.

MD's recorded on a Sharp MS-702 (two to three years old) still sound
significantly better than the best MP3 encoding of today. You're welcome
to come over to my place and do a scientific comparison ;-)

Seriously, though, I'm currently reviewing a new PC receiver with USB and
Digital connections. I've been comparing high-quality MP3s played on my
computer with MDs of the same music played via analog-out (I don't
currently have an MD player with digital out, so I can't test that). The
receiver is exactly the same, using the same speakers, etc. I can simply
switch between inputs. I can also switch between a digital connection
from the computer and the receiver or an analog connection.

Doing a blind comparison for friends (they don't know the source, they
just listen to me switch the inputs) always results in MD coming out on
top, regardless of whether or not the MP3's are being played through
digital or analog outputs. My guess is that the difference would be at
least as big, if not more so, if I were using an MD player with digital
out, since the D/A converter on the receiver is probably better than the
one on my MZ-R50.