Jim coon wrote,

| I frined sent me a disk that he was recording and as the battery was
| giving out, he replaced the battery without stopping the unit so the TOC
| could be written.  He wants me to recover the recording.  I have a Sony
| 520 deck and a SOny R30 recorder.  I have some instructions that [David]
| Tamkin sent to the list for cloning with w 520.

OK ...

| So my question is do I need to know if the disc with out hte toc is
| recorded in mono or stereo before I try to recover it?

It certainly helps; ask your friend if you can get in touch with him.  In
case he isn't reachable or he doesn't remember, I think it's best to start my
answer by taking your question literally: you do not have to know before you
*try* to recover it.  You can find out in the process of recovery and start
over if the first mode you try is wrong.  I recommend trying stereo first
because (1) it is more likely and (2) it takes less time to prepare the
source disc.

Fill a scratch disc of at least the same duration as your friend's disc with
stereo silence and clone its TOC to your friend's disc.  If it plays cor-
rectly, you're fine.  If it plays at double speed, then the data are in mono;
delete the track from the scratch disc, fill it with mono silence, and clone
again.

Possibly the deleted disc had both some stereo and some mono, in which case
the procedure becomes more complicated, and I can detail it if you need it.

Unless your friend's disc was fully recorded on, you'll find that clusters
that were never used are now listed in the TOC as being in an active track.
Even if you don't try to restore all his track marks, *do* divide off and
delete the area at the end that has never been recorded on.  You'll recognize
it when you try to play it and the disc seems to get stuck there, with the
time not advancing.  Leaving it undeleted will just confuse the owner of the
disc.