* las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Tue, 31 Oct 2000
| That may be true, but in the case of cps, we had something in place that was
| descriptive.  Just because we use non descriptive terms for many things does
| not make dropping the one descriptive term that we had excusable.

1000 cubic centimetres, perfectly descriptive..  Do you say, "get me a
2000cc bottle of Coke," or do you say "get me a 2 litre bottle of Coke?"

| There used to be only two different types of gasoline to choose from.
| Regular and hi test.

Umm... no.  There used to be one type of gasoline to chose from: gasoline.

| If you drove into the gas station today and asked for high test, the kid
| would look at you like you are nuts.  But what does "extra", "premium",
| "super", "ultra", etc. mean??  What not say "87", "89", "93" etc.?

Because the Average Joe has no idea what octane ratings actually are or
what the numbers mean.  Attaching labels to meaningless numbers provides a
tangible scale.

[...]
| In the use the term metre is not used (unless they changed that too while
| I was sleeping) it's meter).  Metre is used in Europe.

And I spell colour sometimes, too.  Deal with it, pink boy.

| Using any word to describe the processor of a computer is really useless,
| because there isn't always a true relationship between the "processor
| speed and the actual speed of the computer.  It's one more way to fool
| the consumer.

Duh.

| There should be a standard that reflects the true overall benchmark of a
| computer that is listed on each computer.

| The benchmarks for the processor, hard drive, video card, memory,
| etc. all have to be considered.

*snrk*

Sorry, but your ignorance is showing.  We went through this 30 years ago.
Fact is, there is no way to calculate such a thing.  It is like saying,
"which is better, an orange or a duck?"
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to