sherryl wrote:
> But in the spoken word I still hear people refer to it as cycle as in
> "sixty cycle".  People don't call it Hertz.

Says who?  I hear it being called Hertz all the time.  Besides being
more universal, Hertz is easier and faster to say than cycles per
second.

> Just for the hell of it a checked a very old amp that I have.  It states
> "60~"  So at one time "~" meant cycle.

It is still used as shorthand, and it means Hertz now.

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways