Don Capps wrote:

>  As for MP3 players...don't knock it until
> you've tried it. My Expanium is the best entertainment investment I've made
> in years. And at 199 USD how much more inexpensive does it have to get?

The Expandium is not an MP3 player in the classic usage of that phrase (when
people speak of "MP3 players" they are usually referring to things like the
Rio).  It is a CD player that can play MP3 files, isn't it?  I believe that
they use a modified CD ROM drive in order to achieve this.

But in order to make those MP3 files you have to have a computer and either
download MP3 files or convert music CD's "virtual files" to wave files to MP3
files.  I realize that there is software that can do this in one step, but it
is still not the same as copying a CD directly to an MD.

For $200 you can also buy a DVD player that will read MP3 files and has a
digital output.  Plus you will get about $60 back in change!!  True you can't
carry it around your neck.  But you can't watch DVD's on your player.

Since their introduction I still have not seen a drop in the price of portable
CD/MP3 players.  Two hundred dollars seems like a pretty high price to play for
something that isn't even capable of either recording or at least play back
DVDs.

Aiwa makes a car unit that will play them also.  It's $300.00.  About $150 more
than it's standard CD counter part.  You are paying too much extra for the
"gimmick" in my humble opinion.

Larry