"Jim Gray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>This may have already been answered some time ago, but what should I
>pay for a really decent pair of earbuds, and what model is
>recommended? thanx...

I sent this earlier from work from a Yahoo account, but I don't think it
went through, so I'm sending again...

I frequent the MiniDISCussion headphone boards, as
well as the HeadWize boards and Headroom's own boards.
There is rarely "agreement" on headphones, but there
is nearly unanimous agreement on the following
hierarchy of earbuds:

1) Etymotics ER4S or ER4P (S for use with a headphone
amp, P for use directly from a portable). Not only the
best earbud available, but one of the best headphones
of any design. $269

2) Sony MDR-E888. Not nearly as good as the Etymotics,
but clearly better than anything else. $69

3) A close race: Sony EX70 (not sure, but I think
around $40-$50) and Sennheiser MX500 ($20). The EX70
has much better isolation (more of a "plug" type) and
therefore better bass, but the Sennheiser supposedly
has better overall sound (but no isolation).

I'm a big headphone enthusiast -- I own the Etymotics
ER4S, Sennheiser 580s, Grado SR-60, and Koss KSC/35,
and have auditioned tons of others. I actually
purchased the Koss "Plug" and was VERY, VERY, VERY
disappointed. The sound was muddy, with boomy, poor
bass. I even tried the "fix" for them from Headwize
that supposedly dramatically increases sound quality.
They were indeed better, but still nothing to write
home about. The reviews of the Plug have pretty much
agreed with my evaluation. If you only want to spend
$20, get the Sennheisers.