I've never tried making diagrams with text before, but I'll try to show you
what Niels is thinking:
    ()
    ()  [][]
   |_____|:::}-------------------

this is what the remote plug looks like on my Aiwa.  It's not the same as my
sharp, but I can only assume that his E900 plug is similar to this one.  the
[][] part is the remote connection, and the other is the 3.5 mm connector.
His problem is this:
__________
|       MD     |---[Remote]----[AirHead Amp (big, heavy)]----[Headphones]
|      unit       |
-------------

This is the easiest set up, but it isn't very practical for use.  Can you
imagine clipping the remote to your shirt and having the headphone amp
dangle on the line?  It just won't work.  He probably wants to have his
airhead and md unit in his pocket, while the remote is usable.  His solution
was this:  Cut the plastic in the remote plug (1st diagram), to separate the
remote portion, and the 3.5mm connector.  Then, throw away the 3.5mm jack
(basically).  Now, his setup would look like this:
|      unit       |----[AirHead Amp (big, heavy)]--------[Headphones]
So, as PrinceGaz said, the question is whether or not the remote needs the
3.5mm (probably not), and whether or not the remote connectors are strong
enough (probably).  Go for it Niels.

Dan