las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Once the signal is passed through the crappy internal headphone amp
>of a portable unit, the damage has been done. Plugging that signal
>into the best separate headphone amp isn't going to remove the
>distortion that the crappy one has created.

Well, to some extent that's true. That's why people who are serious about
headphones buy units that have a dedicated line-out.

As for the Sharp jacks that are impedance-sensing, while they may not sound
as good as a dedicated line out, they are much better than a simple
headphone jack. You can still use those jacks to hook your portable up to a
good headphone amp, and you will still hear a significant difference.

>IF you want the best possible sound, first you have to get yourself a
>top notch pair of headphones. That goes without saying. But second,
>you should invest in a good separate headphone amp and not use the
>headphone out that is built into your amp or receiver. Use the line
>out as you would for any other component.

Exactly.

>I'll bet that even on a a decent grade receive in in the $900 range,
>if they have a headphone jack, the amp is an after thought. If a good
>headphone amp sells for several hundred dollars by itself, I doubt
>you are going to find one, in a $900 receiver. Probably not even in a
>$2000.00 unit.

In fact, there is not a single component amp/receiver I have heard of that
actually has a high-quality headphone amp built-in. Some are definitely
better than others, but you're 100% correct, Larry -- most headphone jacks
are simply an afterthought, use cheap components, and do not provide enough
power to drive a good set of cans.