las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For me headphones are only for "desperate listening". In other words
>places were it is totally impossible to have a full speaker system.
>
>Sound is not just heard with your ears, it is felt by your whole
>body. I feel that you and your entire body should be enveloped in
>sound. You just can't do do that with headphones.

Very true... a full-range speaker system has a physical effect -- the "feel"
of deep bass. On a very good system ($$$), full-range speakers also offer
imaging that headphones can't. However, unless you spend a LOT of money on
speakers and source components, they will be far less accurate than $300
headphones with a $200 headphone amp, and the headphones will offer clarity
that the speakers can't. Plus you have to deal with room interactions and
reflections, placement, etc.

You're correct that headphones can't produce the physical effect that
full-range speakers can.  But if you can do without that effect, for the
money, headphones offer far better "bang for the buck." For $550, you can't
really get a good amp and speakers to hook up to your CD player that will
provide you with high-end sound. But you can buy a Sennheiser HD600 and a
Musical Fidelity X-CANSv2 headphone amp that will give you simply amazing
sound.