>On the subject of building your own mixing system for MD, what do you find
>lacking in commercially available mixers that would prompt you want to build
>your own?  I can see that battery power and small size could be requirements
>not met by many mixers.

In addition to the requirements you mention above:

1.  Plug-in power for inexpensive, high quality electret microphones.
2.  Reduced number of physical controls through software.  (Use a few rotary
  encoders to replace a lot of potentiometers.)
3.  Adjust levels *before* the A/D to prevent overload while maximizing dynamic
   range.  Most modern MD recorders have fixed gain *berfore* the A/D; not a
   good thing!

>Also, why add the A/D?  Are MD's converters lacking?  (Or is it that the
>digital out is an advantage if it results in the automatic level control
>being bypassed.)

The extremely low voltages and long battery endurance of modern portable
MD players must be made at a trade-off to audio quality.  Also, their small size
makes proper shilelding and isolation of the analog section difficult.

One other advantage of one of the Crystal Seminconductor A/D chips I've
been looking at is that it incorporates a metering circuit that gives an accurate
digital readout in 1 dB steps down to -70 dB.  While working on a unrelated
project a few years ago, I used a 16 character x 2 line LCD as a high resoltion
analog bar-graph meter with software controlled ballistics, as well as for its normal
text display function.

> What other features for MD would you look for in a mixer
>design?

Since the proposed design would be software controlled, it could adjust the
channel level trim automatically for optimum performance.  The design would
sort of be like a modern point-and-shoot auto-focus camera.