Christopher Hicks wrote:

> Curiously, I am currently contemplating designing a small digital mixer for
> location recording (not specifically to MD, but entirely usable with
> My project essentially comprises 8 XLR mic-line inputs, each with
> switchable gain and phantom power. The resulting audio is passed to a DSP
> which has independent level and pan controls for each channel, a master
> level control, and a parametric EQ on the output. It would be possible to
> have EQ on individual channels but it would make the control surface either
> expensive, or fiddly to use, and I'd rarely use it in my application

When I record a group, I usually put up 4 mics in an A-B X-Y
configuration, and then the occasional spot mic when needed.  I often
use eq on the individual channels to blend the sound from the mics, so
I'd really love it if there were individual channel eq.

> The make-or-break of this project probably depends on whether I can get a
> hobbyist electronics magazine to publish the design. The purpose of this
> posting is too see if there is significant interest in this forum that I
> can use as leverage with potential publishers, so let me have your comments!

I would absolutely love something like this.  Even without the eq on
individual channels.

The other thing I'd love (while you're in the designing mood...) is a
small portable D/A converter with an eq in it.  It would take in optical
or coax S/PDIF and then have a digital eq, and then output a line level
signal.  Perhaps if you just added a digital input to your mixer above,
which would also be useful as an alternate clock source.

-steve