After a few attempts to record MDs using electret mics plugged directly into my MZ-R70,
I have noticed these problems:

1) The gain ahead of the A/D is *fixed*, so it is possible to overload the A/D.  This
happens
   with a not-too-load signal, for instance, someone just talking loudly.
2) The MZ-R70's automatic level control produces somewhat annoying results.  It must be
   defeated each time recording is started, because the MZ-R70 doesn't remember the
last
   ALC setting.
3) Two microphones is often not enough.  Maybe 4 to 8 would be more suitable for most
   events.

I've had the ambitious thought of building up my own mixing system, consisting of
OPA2604
amplifiers and LM1973s for electronic level control and panning, using some sort of
CPU to
control it all and maybe even an A/D chip so I can feed digital to the MD.

Has anyone else on the list though about something like this?