Did you account for /images or /skins and a whole lot of other things in your
.htaccess file? Always a bad idea to put the install in the root. This is only
the start of what you need to think of. Robots.txt, google verification file,
/extensions which store files such as processed widgets. Search engines will
have their way with your wiki. Indexing edit pages and revision pages unless
you create special rules not just Disallow /w. It will also make it harder to
upgrade which is a mute discussion at this point.   Not saying root install
isn't possible. Just a whole lot of things to consider.   To start:  Check the
path for /images and a file. If your rewrite doesn't ignore the /images
directory you'd 404 the call to it in a page. Simple test, call the hard url to
an image. /images/1/a/example.png. If it takes you to the wiki and says create
a page your rewrite is not excluding the directory and seeing it as a page.
Tom

You should be able to mass upload missing images if you extract them from
the /images subdirectories and use the importimages.php as for graphs if
they are not in /images your probably missing the extension that created
it. Just download and install it to the new wiki.