On Jun 2, 2014, at 6:59 PM, Tom Hutchison <t...@hutch4.us> wrote:

> Did you account for /images or /skins and a whole lot of other things in your
> .htaccess file? Always a bad idea to put the install in the root.

You mean e.g. apache’s DocumentRoot  or ServerRoot? I’ve been in the habit of
having mediawiki files go into a subdirectory based on (for example)
DocumentRoot/wiki/mediawiki-1.22.7. and then Alias it as DocumentRoot/wiki .

> This is only the start of what you need to think of. Robots.txt, google
> verification file, /extensions which store files such as processed widgets.
> Search engines will have their way with your wiki. Indexing edit pages and
> revision pages unless you create special rules not just Disallow /w. It will
> also make it harder to upgrade which is a mute discussion at this point.
> Not saying root install isn't possible. Just a whole lot of things to
> consider.   To start:  Check the path for /images and a file. If your rewrite
> doesn't ignore the /images directory you'd 404 the call to it in a page.
> Simple test, call the hard url to an image. /images/1/a/example.png. If it
> takes you to the wiki and says create a page your rewrite is not excluding
> the directory and seeing it as a page.

thank you for the advice, I’ll look at that this evening.

--
Rob Lingelbach  http://rob.colorist.org
http://colorist.org   r...@colorist.org