On 03/05/11 09:21, kate.alh...@nokia.com wrote:
Yes, they are in Harmattan. Does they have "real-world use" just depends that
do you like offer optimum user
experience for certain class of devices. Intel components offers best match
with Intel's tablet UX,
Harmattan components offer best user experience for handset.

Without going into details of just how wrong I think this is, a short version of my opinion is: if you think that further fracturing a currently fledgling and immature developer community into arbitrary device categories after the last ~5 year's worth of disasters of rewrites and fragmentation is a good approach, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think hobbyists will be too happy to find out they have to rewrite the basics for every seperate device, either, given that is the #1 thing I hear Android developers complaining about. The netbook/handset/* differences certainly haven't done much except to confuse people, from my time watching #meego/forums/mailing lists.

When you already have less appeal to developers, the last thing you want to do is to make it harder for them to write applications for you. And you want it easy to write applications that target a lot of devices. It's utter insanity to want to fragment what was finally starting to become a coherent and appealing developer story.

--
Robin Burchell
http://rburchell.com