Hello,

We recently implemented memcached to keep our database from crashing
because of too many connections to it.

Now we have two memcached servers which handle the DB-access and as long as
both servers are online we encounter no problems. However when one of the
goes down. Half our users loose their sessions. While thats ugly it is
actually not the biggest problem.
Because if one server goes down users not only get kicked out, but they
also struggle to use the site at all. It seems like the apache-client
doesn't recognizes that one of the memcached servers went down and still
tries to reach that server on every fracking request.
The only thing that were changed on the memcached client were the
implementation of "memcached.so" in php.ini and changing the
[Session]-settings to "session.save_handler memcached" and
"session.save_path = memc01, memc02".

Can anyone help me to figure out what is going on here, please?

Another thing is, that we would prefer to have the exact same data
available on both memcached-Servers. So if one of the two can't be reached,
the other one is asked. So no user is losing his session when one server
suddenly goes down.

I already searched a lot and it actually confused me quite a bit (memcache
and memcached) and didn't bring up any results for me specially my first
problem. Maybe I'm just terrible at googling or to stupid to find the
solution.

Oh, and please don't feel offended by my probably bad grammar and spelling,
while I am listening a reading quite a lot english. I don't write or speak
the language often.

However, any kind of help is welcome. :)

SAE