a point... a query like
select * from session_table where session_id='xxxxx'
where session_id is a primary key is very very fast, we are talking
about < 0.1 seconds, with memcached you are trying to go down to <0.01
seconds
why should you care about speed in internet if the time to consider a
page slow is near 3 seconds?
you could use database without problems when memcached goes down and a
simple query (in primary key) isn't database intensive, some guys use
a mysql table per session when session ends DROP TABLE session_xyz
this make the system more proof of broken engine (that don't work fast
with frequently delete+update+select queries) other option is a
session_table with many partitions, just some ideas..

--
Roberto Spadim