Not sure if the hook up for the early 300D is going to be issue with an older w115. From the stuff I find at the PnP, an old 616 with the pull start will fit pretty easy in your 250c

My guess for how to attack it, would involve removing the dash. This alone will dissuade most people. Think of it as a chance to fix blower motor issues and heat exchanger cleaning. Avoid having A/C because that makes it orders of magnitude more hassle.

As long as the coupe is in superb body condition with no rust at all, I would be fine tossing a diesel in. If there are body issues, then I am not sure I want to have so many angles to attack. Rust and getting the engine in would make it hard for me to focus on one job.

On the sedans the engine compartment looks the same, you just have to figure out which hole is for what component. Engine height may restrict use and location of air filters from newer motors. Also the electronics will be harder to work with in the older body. May also have issue with ancillary components, like PS and filters.

Were I to have a great body 250c with dead engine, and a rust hulk 240D 115, I would completely remove the gas engine and install the complete engine compartment from the 240. Move the Temp gauge with the engine. I would also move the complete transmission and drive train.

Use the diesel dash as a template for the holes to drill in the gas dash. If you are using a contemporary engine, you will need a hole for the pull start and the salt shaker glow which will transfer over from the 240 dash.

Fuel tanks will have to swap as well with fuel lines. Good time to upgrade to Viton. Hook the sender unit for gauge with the clean tank, free of bugs and clean screens. Also going to have to redo the exhaust system, so get new.

That about deals with the torque and electronic issues I could see.

Anybody who knows more than I do, which may be most, will no doubt be able to plug the holes large enough to drive through