On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:15:11PM -0400, Marshall Booth wrote:
> > TOILET PAPER FILTERS - what is everyone talking about?
> > Real toilet paper or the Hengst fuel filters that look
> > a bit like a roll of toilet paper? If the former, how
> > do you do it?
>
> Filters that use toilet paper as the filter element have been available
> for at least 50 years. They are VERY effective, but must be changed
> rather frequently in most situations. They CAN provide excellent
> filtering for fine (in the 1 micron range) particulate. They remove soot
> beautifully (Mercedes disposes off soot by changing the oil). Using a TP
> filter, one VW diesel owner did not CHANGE his Mobil 1 oil for 60kmi and
> when it was finally changed it was still "honey" colored and the TBN had
> not dropped more than about 50%. Problem was that he had to change the
> filter at least every 2500 miles or the filter would occlude, and with
> each filter change, a qt of fresh oil had to be added. The actual cost
> for the 60kmi was only about $10-12 less than if he had change the
> oil/filter in the conventional way - and there was the labor and
> disposal problems of changing the filter every 2500 miles (24 times) for
> 60kmi of driving.

I have one of these on one of my cherokees - a frantz oil filter. It is
literally a roll of toilet paper as the element, but it's not paper I'd
want anywhere near my bathroom, for fear that it got used. I think 1000 grit
sandpaper would be more comfortable. The oil filter that the jeep was
supposed to get is NLA, and the one that everyone tries to sell me rubs on
the motor mount and leaks like a sieve as a result, so I have to use a
cheesy FWD cadillac filter. The PO wasn't convinced that the caddy filter
provided enough filtration.

*shrug*

To me, the toilet paper soaked in oil makes a great campfire starter in
the desert. I'm looking forward to lighting off the one that got changed
after the fuel pump diaphragm went and the pump started pumping gasoline
in the oil :)