Why think for yourself if you are putting your fate in the hands of the person handing you a welfare check? The urban poor work on gaming the system, not in assisting the world to be a better place. They have no motivation to get off the lam. The welfare will drive them to appointments, give them food, school the kids, and keep them from having to have a personal stake in the world. What have these people done they can look back on with pride? Smoked crack and got $0.80 on the dollar for trading in foodstamps? Scammed medicare? Been part of gang violence and vandalism to go along with the looting? Maybe he scored big by having babies with women he never will see again, survived prison, shot some kid for his shoes and iPod?