-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 2:29 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Snook's volvo and bumper stickers

Thanks Mitch for the good explanation.  The tailgate down is a KS
folklore.   As a joke/test of knowledge, I tell P/U drivers to put
the tailgate down so they will get another 5 mpg and watch the
reaction.  Most laugh, but some believe it, and others are from KS
and KNOW it to be fact (Sorry Donald, Maybe I should narrow that to
Saline county)

Anyhow, a P/U gets better mileage with the factory tailgate up.  The
cutout/mesh tailgates for goosenecks cost MPG, unless the trailer is
attached, then it is most likely insignificant.  Most ordinary
drivers can't measure a difference of 5% or less.  Their methods are
to inaccurate.

As Mitch said, with the gate down, turbulent flow (drag) is
created.  With the gate up, the bed creates a circular eddy flow, and
it lowers the drag.  Check it in your own windtunnel with models and
a smoke generator/disperser.

At 08:23 AM 8/7/2008, you wrote:
>Donald Snook wrote:
> >  Perhaps he should also tell people to roll up their windows
> (that saves fuel also) or have trucks put their tailgates down.
>

>Putting the tailgate down is a bad idea, especially with a newer
>truck that was
>wind tunnel tested for efficiency with the gate up. The laminar flow
>separates
>at the back of the cab unless you install a fiberglass topper that
>continues the
>shape of the cab. With the tailgate shut, a bubble of air forms that does a
>rough impersonation of the aforementioned bed topper. With the tailgate down,
>you get highly turbulent airflow through the bed.
>

>Mitch.

Loren Faeth