From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:30 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Difference on Taxes

What is a "fair" tax for all to pay -- % of income and total amount?
Real hard numbers, not some vague generalities please.

Reason I ask is that I always hear "paying their fair share" etc. and I
never hear any of them say what "fair" is.  I suppose it depends on
where you fall on the political and income spectrum, but that word is
un- or ill-defined.  I ask my more liberal friends and they launch into
long-winded vague responses that don't answer the question, making me
think that they don't have one other than "more money."

My sense is that people of lower income consume similar or more
proportional to their income of tax-provided services than do
higher-income people, so I wonder why higher-income people should pay
for that.  Amounts of money spent on various "programs" targeted at
lower-income people for the last, say, 40 years have shown no benefit in
reduction of poverty or crime or unstable families, and in fact many of
these measures show increases in such problems despite almost continuous
economic growth over that time period.  Not a lot of incentive to keep
paying for those failures.

There appear to be a lot of people still standing at the station while
the trains keep leaving, and they aren't getting on them.  Part of the
reason is that it is sorta easy to stay on the platform due to various
"programs," and part of it is that there is just a portion of the
population that is going to be lazy no-count dumbasses no matter what.
Some people have legitimate needs that should be supported, others just
don't make an effort to elevate themselves (or take advantages of
opportunities to do so).

--R