Either I did it by hand or I wrapped a rag around the barrel of the
new pump and used a channellock lightly.  I think i can get close to
25 ft lb barehanded.   The old kraut who trained us on Deutz Diesels
showed us that 25 ft lb was putting your thumb around the end of the
wrench or socket and pulling with your fingers.  I have used that as
the 25 ft-lb standard ever since.

most people over-torque common fasteners.  Headbolts, most people use
a torque wrench.

At 10:38 AM 9/7/2008, you wrote:
>You will need a wrench to install the new one leak free -- it has a
>copper ring seal, you won't get 25-30 ft/lbs by finger power!
>
>Peter
>
>On Sep 7, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Loren Faeth wrote:
>
> > Since the primer pump is trash anyway, put a vice grip on it, just
> > below the pump-handle, and turn it out.  for the new primer, you can
> > screw it in tight enough by hand.  it comes with a new oring seal.
> >
> > At 06:47 PM 9/6/2008, you wrote:
> >> The two I replaced both had a hex at the bottom near the threads.
> >> I used a
> >> crows-foot wrench on an extension with a ratchet.  But I heard
> >> someone
> >> (maybe the Mercedessource guy) mention the vice grip approach ...
> >> so maybe
> >> some came without the hex?
> >>
> >> Scott Ritchey

Loren Faeth