Mitch wrote: "My twenty year old memories of 2.8L V6 aren't fond ones, is the
3.1 that much
better?"

the 3.1 "M" motor is very good.  It is an old design engine and thus the
reliability has improved over years and years of using the engine.  The only
problem I ever heard about the "M" motor was that the they had a oil leak. The
engine is old enough that it used to come with a distributor.  When they got
rid of the distributor they put a $2 seal in the top of the shaft.  They leak
once you get 60-75,000 miles.  It is an easy repair.  Other than that, the 3.1
M engine is great.  It was in TONS of gm crs through the 90's and even early
2000's.

Donald H. Snook