Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 06:55:26 -0400
From: Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Snook Stylin
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Redghost wrote:
> Fellow I worked with a couple decades ago just got disbarred.  Seems he
> was upstanding while a cop and going to law school, but in the
> intervening time he sort of went astray.
>
> Clients were major drug lords in the area.  He took payment in cash.
> first mistake.  Second was to put it in his home safe.  Third was to
> forget to put it on the books as income.  Went downhill fast after that.

Sounds to me like a guy who got used to cheating whenever he could as a cop and
still being thought of as "upstanding". The police motto seems to be "if they
can't prove you did anything wrong, everything's fine".
I can tell you that cash receipts not making it into the business bank account
or claimed as revenue is common small business practice, but I always had the
feeling that the former cops were more likely to do it than the others.

Mitch.