I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for anyone running a Windows
system. While it *is* a Microsoft product, they have apparently gotten tired
of all the laughing and snickering anytime they mention "Windows Security"
and have managed to design a decent virus detector. Plus it's free. Plus
there is the conspiracy theory that Anti-Virus companies are the largest
developers of viruses to keep selling their product. I've taken to
installing it on the couple of Windows boxes I'm forced to keep around.

On a side note, if you are ever on any website that suddenly gives you a
*web based* pop up telling you that you have a virus, if you click anywhere
on that window, even on the NO, you just might. Those "Malware Defense" and
"Virus Defender" pop ups *are* viruses. Best to bring up Task Manager and
force kill the browser than to click on it and take any chances at all.

Oh, and black list the website you were on when it popped up. If they are
going to be pushing viruses, you don't need to visit their site.

EdB

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM, andrew strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been getting an onslaught of warnings recently about viruses that are
> supposedly infecting my Compaq laptop computer, with an offer to kill them
> with "Malware Defense".  Has anyone heard of this SW?  Is it legit?   I
> used
> to receive McAfee spam daily but that has ceased, and Malware is now
> hitting
> me every couple of minutes with their warnings and offers.  Should
> I subscribe to the 50 percent off Malware offer, resubscribe to McAfee, or
> do something else, such as.??..  My computer IS acting strangely,  and
> takes
> forever to load, so I would not be surprised if I have some sort of
> computerized STD.
>
> TIA, and Happy New Year to all!
>
> Andrew

"I've come to your planet on a Class IV Intergalactic Doom Freighter." -
Adrian Monk