On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 20:23:20 -0500 andrew strasfogel
<astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been getting an onslaught of warnings recently about viruses that
> are supposedly infecting my Compaq laptop computer, with an offer to
> kill them with "Malware Defense".

Sounds like your computer is infected with Ad-ware (and who knows what
other stuff). (I'm presuming this is a spontaneous pop-up window and not
email.)

> Is it legit?

If it's advertising itself without you having asked for it, I would say
it's not legit. Legitimate companies do not need to operate that way.

> I used to receive McAfee spam daily but that has ceased, and Malware is
> now hitting me every couple of minutes with their warnings and offers.
> Should I subscribe to the 50 percent off Malware offer, resubscribe to
> McAfee, or do something else, such as.??..

Get a good virus program and a good ad/mal ware program.

> My computer IS acting strangely, and takes forever to load

Yup, you've got a problem.

Craig