Another nice program that instructs, but does not eliminate stuff is
Mike Lin's startup.cpl which is a control panel application that tells
you what processes are scheduled to start up at each boot cycle.  It
is instructive to see the processes that are tasked to start up.  From
that, you can remove start-up status of applications you do not
recognize and then if the system runs fine, you might decide the
application is bogus and needs complete removal.  I can recall an
application from 10 years ago - jupiter something - that I would
detect from time to time.  Do the search in the registry for jupiter
and delete all instances - ruthlessly - and then any variant of
jupiter in the file structures.  Many malware used to be quite visible
and could be seen via careful looking around and removal.  Of course,
while linux is not completely without malware, it is far above the
susceptibility of windows.
mao