The pressures for refirigerants are different, but yes, you can use 134 gauges with another refrigerant, but you don't want to mix refrigerant in the gauge and hose set. Thus there were R12 sets and R22 sets. And now, I don't know how many sets. I think all or some of the 500 series are compatible, thus one set could be used for all compatible refrigerants. Best to use one set per R-Number.

I am still torqued because I had 2 R-12 gauge sets and both were burned up last fall.

This thing I bought http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-manifold-gauge-set-92649.html says it is only good for R134 though the hoses say R12/22/134. The fittings are probably for 134, I have some adapters somewhere I think. is there some reason the gauges would not work with R12 (or Freeze 12 or a "test refrigerant"?)? To me a gauge just measures pressure, should not really care what kind of fluid it is, within reason. I seem to recall the former versions they sold said they worked on all. HMMMM....

--R