I tend to test by putting in just enough to engage the pressure switch.

On my 85 that was a good idea since I quickly noticed the high side was too
high and the low side was ... low.

I observed foam in the sight glass (the color of the oil!) and that the line
going into the side of the accumulator was much hotter (30 degrees) than the
one at the top.

I have a new one going in tomorrow.

--
John W Reames